Built by the American Locomotive Company (Alco) the low-hood S-2 was introduced in 1940 to replace Alco’s earlier high-hood switchers.
The 1000-horsepower S-2 was a turbocharged version of the S-1.
There were 1,502 S-2s sold to North American Railroads.
The versatility of the S-2s was evidenced by their service on mainline, shortline, and industrial railroads.
DCC OPERATION FEATURES:
• Supports all DCC-programming modes
• Flexible mapping of function keys F0 to F28.
• A total of 4 DCC function outputs are available
• Follows all NMRA DCC standards and recommended practices.
Silver Sound Ready™
• Scaled from actual prototype measurements
• Option for horizontal or vertical radiator shutters
• Fine scale handrails
• Separately-applied coupler cut levers, air hoses, piping, etc
.• Directional LED lighting (includes cab rear headlight)• Die-cast hood & chassis for improved pulling performance
• Digital-ready chassis• Dual-flywheels for maximum performance at all speeds
• Factory-equipped with AccuMate® knuckle couplers
• Exceptional painting and printingSound Functionality Features (GOLD LOCOMOTIVES ONLY):
• Over 20 sound effects are available, including engine start-up and shutdown, prime mover sounds through all eight notches, bell, air horn, air compressor, dynamic brakes, and more.
• There are 16 user-selectable horns, 2 user-selectable bells, and 2 user-selectable synchronized brake squeals.
• Manual and Automatic Notching modes with the ability to change modes ”on the fly” are provided for true realism.