Skip to product information
In 1949, EMD introduced the GP7. The basic design followed most diesel switchers with the addition of a short hood instead of an end-cab. The hoods were also full height to better accommodate the diesel engine and mechanical and electrical components. In 1954 EMD upgraded the GP7 to become the 1,750 horsepower GP9. Externally, the first GP9s were virtually unchanged from the last GP7s. Later versions would include different louver arrangements and the last ones would come without the frame skirting. The GP9 was available with all of the fuel tank, steam generator, and dynamic brake options as the GP7, including torpedo tube air tanks mounted on the roof. Many railroads chose to rebuild their GP7s and GP9s for continued service. Often times, it was cheaper to do this rather than purchasing brand-new locomotives.
SP COMMUTE FEATURES:
Dual service units Steam Generator roof mounted Torpedo Tube air tanks Cut side skirts Split water and diesel fuel tank Wagon wheel style antenna stand Nathan 5-Chime air horn Front and rear gyra light; (effect on DCC+Sound version only)
A number of GP9s escaped SP's GRIP program. A few of them soldiered on well into the 1980s as-built later being renumbered into switchers. Most notable, SP #3663 and #3703 lasted nearly 20 years in scarlet and grey without ever being rebuilt. SP style numberboard access doors front and rear Conventional frame mounted air tanks Cut side skirts 2600 gallon diesel fuel tank Whip style antenna Nathan P3 air horn Front gyra light