- Solid pilot face with screw-mounted coupler pockets on both ends
- LED Headlights and Improved rear number boards
- New Option - Full-featured 6-function 21-pin NCE DCC Decoder
- Factory-installed Celcon handrails
- Individually applied wire formed grab irons
- 5-pole motor with precision-machined flywheels and multi-link drive train for trouble-free operation
- See-through cab windows
- DCC Ready 21-pin NEM plug
- LED Illuminated front and rear headlights
- Nickel-plated, blackened machined wheels
- Wheels with RP25 contours operate on all popular brands of track
- Replacement parts available including motor brushes
PROTOTYPE AND BACKGROUND INFO:
When the GP59s and GP60s were first introduced 3 demonstrator versions of each type were tested and evaluated all around the USA by many railroads. The GP60 model proved to be popular with Western-based carriers initially and was utilized on SP and ATSF high-speed intermodal services. NS acquired both GP59 and GP60 models.
After the mega-mergers in the 1990s, the GP60s found themselves in new paint schemes and in service for new railroads such as UP and BNSF. CSX began to acquire GP60s second-hand after 2010. Being assigned to locals and yard jobs, these distinctive locomotives are still in service today.
Athearn brings these locomotives to the Roundhouse line for the first time ever; fully assembled, and equipped with LEDs, wire grabs, and an optional NCE DCC decoder.