The Constellation project was launched in 1939 at the request of the company TWA. Under its military name of C-69 the prototype „Constel“ first flew on 9th January 1943. After the Second World War, ten C- 121 Constellations were made available by the US Air Force for operations by the „Military Air Transport Service“ (MATS). The C-121 was a version of the model 749, with seats which could be removed and replaced by stretchers in case of an emergency evacuation. The C- 121 played on active port in the „Berlin Air Lift“ which started in May 1948 transporting freight from the United States to Europe, and on to West Berlin in smaller aircraft.